As per DOST Administrative Order No. 002 Series of 1989, the DOST Regional Offices shall be the focal points for the planning and implementation of S&T programs and projects in the regions. Specifically, each regional office shall assume the following functions:
1. Identify the needs and opportunities in S&T in the region;
2. Formulate a regional S&T plan consistent with and supportive of the regional and national development S&T plans;
3. Plan and implement programs and projects on R&D and the delivery of S&T services such as technology demonstration and transfer, testing and analysis, S&T promotion and information dissemination, and on other areas of concern of the DOST for the benefit of the people in the region;
In accordance with the mandate of law and in response to the identified needs of specific regions, the DOST Regional Offices are tasked to:
1. Identify the needs and opportunities in Science &Technology (S&T) in the region;
2. Formulate and implement a regional S&T plan consistent with and supportive of regional development thrusts as well as the National S&T Plan 2002-2020;
3. Provide S&T interventions to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME’s) in the regions to improve their productivity and competitiveness in both local and international markets through the Small Enterprises Technology Upgrading Program (SET-UP), the banner program of DOST for technology transfer and commercialization.
4. Plan and implement S&T human resource development programs in coordination with relevant DOST institutes, such as S&T scholarships, trainings and similar activities aimed at creating a critical pool of S&T manpower.
5. Develop institutional linkages and other mechanisms with Ros and other agencies, local governments, and private organizations or entities for the effective planning and implementation of S&T programs in the region.
6. Monitor and coordinate the various programs, projects, and activities of DOST Councils, Institutes and other attached agencies in the region.